Saturday 26 January 2013

Burns Supper...

Out with friends having a lovely Burns evening in our local restaurant, Cafe Portebleue in Verteuil sur Charente. It was lovely to see the Haggis being addressed by a Scotsman in all his regalia. Our Haggis supper didn't fail to impress, the Haggis was excellent, in fact the best I have ever tasted. The atmosphere was buzzing as we had a Scottish quiz, of past and present Scottish men & woman. To our amazement we won the quiz, we are not competitive :-)  we were presented with a lovely bottle of 12yr old Malt Whisky The Glenlivet........very nice.


Burns night is in memory of the famous Scottish poet Robert Burns.

                                        
                                               
Robert Burns







Burns supper is a celebration of the life and poetry of the poet Robert Burns, author of many Scots poems. The suppers are normally held on or near the poet's birthday, 25th January, sometimes also known as Robert Burns day or Burns Night.
This is always a haggis on a large dish. It is usually brought in by the cook, generally while a piper plays bagpipes and lead the way to the host's table, where the haggis is laid down. He/she might play 'A man's a man for a'that', 'Robert Burns Medley' or 'The Star O' Robbie Burns'. The host, or perhaps a guest with a talent, then recites the Adress to a Haggis. Scotch whisky toast will be proposed to the haggis, then the company will sit down to the meal. The haggis is traditionally served with mashed potatoes (tatties) and mashed turnip (neeps). A dessert course  cheese courses, coffee, etc. may also be part of the meal. The courses normally use traditional Scottish recipes  Fot instance, dessert may be cranachan or Tipsy Laird (whisky trifle) followed bu oatcakes and cheese, all washed down with the "water of life"(uisage beatha) - Scotch whisky.



We had a lovely evening...... Slainte Mhath..


















Our Winning prize

5 comments:

  1. My husband would be so jealous of the Glenlivet. I'm not jealous of eating haggis though. I'm making assumptions because I've never tasted it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for playing along with my Dreaming of France meme. It's nice that you can find a bit of home even in France. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband also would be jealous of the Glenlivet. I first had haggis in Edinburgh and just loved it. Somehow we have never got to a Burns Night at home in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There must be a thing with husbands and Scotch... I wouldn't be thrilled with haggis either, in fact I know I couldn't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit I did go along mainly for the atmosphere, not the Haggis, and the fact I was born in Scotland, I wanted to keep in touch with my roots...but have to say the Haggis was delicious, I would certainly have it again.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments... your feedback is important to me x