This spectacular array of classic and modern cars, drove their way through the beautiful village of Verteuil sur Charente. It was a glorious sunny day, and it attracted an amazing amount of people to come and cheer them along. The cars were immaculate, they shone and gleamed in the sunlight. Old to young, they all seemed to be having a fabulous fun day.
The circuit-des-Remparts first race was in 1939.
Some photos of our nostalgic day out..
We will certainly be putting this in our Diary for next year...
This is the History of Circuit-des-Remparts...
The Second World War meant that the next edition could not take place for another eight years.
Two car makers raced that year in their own designs: Amédée GORDINI, known as « le Sorcier » (the wizard), driving a Simca Gordini while René BONNET was at the wheel of his D.B which had Citroën front wheel drive mechanics.
However, it was another engineering genius, Eugene MARTIN, who claimed victory in his modified Frazer Nash.
After his easy victory with a Maserati 4 CLT Fangio's career was off to a lightning start. His friend and compatriot GONZALES came third and the second place went to SIMON in a Simca Gordini.
18 Formula 2 competitors went in the race in 7 different makes. There were two 40 lap qualification races and an 80 lap final. FISHER walked away with the victory in a Ferrari F2 well ahead of MANZON, SIMON and TRINTIGNANT in their Simca Gordinis. Second place went to MACKLIN in an H.W.M. just ahead of AUNAUD in his surprising D.B Panhard, which despite its small engine and torrential rain had outclassed many of the more powerful cars.
The Circuit des Remparts was revived from its ashes supported by none other than Juan FANGIO himself.
The anniversary years: 2008 celebrated thirty years of revival by the ACOCRA and 2009 was the seventieth anniversary of the Circuit des Remparts event.