Monday 26 January 2015

Robbie Burns Supper..

Robbie Burns




A very well known Poem by Robbie Burns... A Red, Red Rose..


O my Luve's like a red, red rose

That's newly sprung in June; 
O my Luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I:
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry:

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun:
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee well, my only Luve
And fare thee well, a while! 
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' it were ten thousand mile. 





We celebrated Robbie Burns, with a superb Haggis Supper at our local restaurant Cafe Portebleue in our village.

 The Haggis was addressed traditionally with the "Address to a Haggis" verse and the teller in full Highland regalia .




Address to a Haggis:




Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye worthy o' a grace
As lang's my arm.
The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o need,
While thro your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.
His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An cut you up wi ready slight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
Like onie ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin, rich!
Then, horn for horn, they stretch an strive:
Deil tak the hindmost, on they drive,
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
Are bent like drums;
The auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
'Bethankit' hums.
Is there that owre his French ragout,
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad mak her spew
Wi perfect scunner,
Looks down wi sneering, scornfu view
On sic a dinner?
Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckless as a wither'd rash,
His spindle shank a guid whip-lash,
His nieve a nit;
Thro bloody flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!
But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread,
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He'll make it whissle;
An legs an arms, an heads will sned,
Like taps o thrissle.
Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies:
But, if ye wish her gratefu prayer,
Gie her a Haggis


Our food was delicious, and the Haggis exceptional..... Each year a quiz is performed, and the questions Scottish related...and so far, including this year, our Team have won...our 3rd Year... :-)... our prize: a bottle of fine Brandy...  :-) 












We are having 2 celebration Suppers this year...another at a friends at the end of this week....a great occasion with some great friends...very much looking forward to it..







4 comments:

  1. Well that's not at all what I expected to see when I linked to your Dreaming of France post! One day perhaps I shall be brave enough to try haggis, but not today. Nay, not today. Is it a traditional French thing to celebrate Robert Burns night? How lovely! It sounds like quite an evening, except for you know, having to eat the haggis:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sim, thank you for your comment. I am a Scottish lassie in France :-) although Robbie Burns suppers are not really celebrated in France, it is getting known. I know of some Scottish friends who invited some French neighbour for some Haggis and a wee dram, and they loved it....so who knows.. :-) Bon appétit.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Sim it sounds like fun except for the haggis. I have tried it before. Guess you can't go to Scotland without a wee bite ...but once was enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marguerite, I love all your dinner celebrations, but like Sim, I would want to skip the Haggis. Thanks for playing along today with Dreaming of France. Here’s my Dreaming of France meme

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments... your feedback is important to me x